Business Start: Legal Bootcamp is a two-week program designed to help new entrepreneurs complete the basic legal steps in setting up their new business.
Through live online courses taught by experienced attorneys, entrepreneurs will receive hands-on guidance on how to take the necessary steps to turn their business idea into an official legal business.
Form Your CA Limited Liability Company (LLC)
Draft Your First Contract
Trademark Your Business Name
Applications for the Spring 2021 are due April 9
Learn more about the program and how to apply below.
About the Business Start: Legal Bootcamp
This four-session course, designed and taught by SBDC Advisors and attorneys Gina Pak and Liam Moriarty, will help entrepreneurs learn the steps necessary to turn their business idea into an official legal business. Seats are limited to 10 entrepreneurs who are ready to form their business. This course is offered at no cost.
The cohort will meet Tuesday and Thursday afternoons for one-hour sessions. Topics of the sessions include:
- Basics of Business Law
- Form Your LLC
- Drafting Contracts
- Introduction to Intellectual Property: Patents & Trademarks
This series is for entrepreneurs who:
- Are ready to form their business today
- Have already decided that a limited liability company or LLC is the right structure for their business
- Are bootstrapped and eager to DIY
- Can commit to attend all sessions and complete all assignments.
Program perks include:
- No cost to you. It is funded by the SBDC.
- 4+ hours of live online courses from experienced attorneys.
- At the end of the program, you will have filed an LLC, drafted your first contract, and started the process for filing a trademark yourself.
- Downloadable resources including templates and checklists.
Spring Cohort Schedule
Applications due: Thursday, April 9, 2021
Bootcamp dates: Weeks of April 19 & 26
- Session 1 – Tuesday, April 20, 2021 from 2 pm to 3 pm
- Session 2 – Thursday, April 22, 2021 from 2 pm to 3 pm
- Session 3 – Tuesday, April 27, 2021 from 2 pm to 2:30 pm
- Breakout Session 3A: Tuesday, April 27, 2021 from 2:30 pm to 3 pm
- Breakout Session 3B: Tuesday, April 27, 2021 from 3:30 pm to 4 pm
- Session 4 – Thursday, April 29, 2021 from 2 pm to 3 pm
All sessions will be hosted virtually via Zoom to comply with local COVID-19 mandates.
About the Instructors
Gina Pak and Liam Moriarty are both attorneys, former law professors, and entrepreneurs. They are also SBDC advisors who provide general legal information to clients on contracts, formation, and other general corporate issues. Both are graduates of Columbia Law School.