The ideal new employee will help grow your business, while the wrong choice can be an expensive mistake.
1. Do pre-screen candidates on the phone.
2. Do prepare candidates for the interview. If you want to see samples of their work, let them know in advance.
3. Do interview several candidates — at least three if you can.
4. Do listen more than you talk.
5. Do be realistic — about job responsibilities, experience required, salary and benefits.
6. Do stick to the same evaluation process for each candidate.
7. Don’t make promises of job security.
8. Don’t hire someone just because you know them.
9. Don’t be overly impressed by credentials from big corporations or well-known universities.
10. Don’t be swayed by your first impression. Let the conversation flow. For important jobs, arrange for a second in-person interview with your top prospects before you make your final choice.